The Canadian Optimist Dinghy Association (CODA) is the national class organization for Optimist sailing in Canada.
It is the Canadian member of the International Optimist Dinghy Association (IODA).
CODA organizes and promotes Optimist competition in Canada through its annual Championship regatta, liaises with provincial and local club competitions and administers the selection process for Canadian Optimist sailors representing CODA at IODA international regattas.
Optimist sailors who wish to race in national and CODA qualifying regattas (Provincial Championships) must be current members of CODA.
What does CODA provide?
- Administers a website and social media with information on regattas across Canada and internationally that contains resources useful to Optimist sailors.
- Writes and solicits content for sailors, parents and coaches to deepen knowledge of the class, provide entertainment and grow the Opti class across Canada.
- Decals for your opti or regatta box each year indicating you are a member
- A piece of CODA swag each year such as a buff or dry bag
- Assists with running development clinics for sailors and coaches in each region every year. CODA can help provide coaches, the utilization of our Regatta Network platform for registration, volunteers to run parent clinics, sponsorship, guidance and support for yacht clubs
- Chooses teams for IODA events and assists with travel logistics and payments
- Handles Team Canada uniforms
- Coordinates and invites coaches in support of international competitions.
- As a not-for-profit corporation, CODA maintains Director and Officer insurance and submits yearly taxes to Revenue Canada.